By: Ivan Smith
Metal art is an ever growing field, filled with many people of immense talent. Preparing a list of well known metal artists will require a huge book, because besides the number of artists involved and the differing opinions on the merits of each artist and each work of art. Having said this here are the names of some metals artists whose work, controversial or not, is worth looking at.
• Don Asbee: Don’s works of metal art are to be seen throughout the country, including such prestigious locations as The Smithsonian Institution. Don started by studying traditional forms of blacksmith work and followed that by studying design at Maryville University. He prefers to work in collaboration with other artists, designers and architects when working on large pieces of art work. His specialty is the forging and fabrication of decorative pieces for both home and office.
• Bruce Gray: Bruce is a metal artist who works with both wood and metal creating both contemporary as well as abstract deigns. His works have been widely displayed at both solo and group exhibitions all over the country and aboard. This Los Angeles based metal artist’s work may be found at over 1100 private and corporate art collection worldwide. His specialty is kinetic sculpture including the use of mobiles and high power magnets to produce sculpture that seem to be suspended in mid air.
• Bill Roberts: Bill is a central Florida based metal artist who has been producing decorative metal work for over 20 years. His range of metal art runs from fine jewelry in both gold and sterling silver to what he calls “house jewelry” – entry gates, lighting fixtures, furniture, sculpture and much more. He works in a variety of metals and is happy in both working with his own designs as well as collaborating with clients for custom made pieces.
• Larry Pearson: Larry began his career as a commercial welder working on a variety of industrial and commercial welding sites and projects. About 12 years ago he took up metal art welding as a hobby and found such great appreciation of his work that he became a full time metal artist in 2007. A relative newcomer to the filed, his work is known for the intricate and precision welding used to in the creation of his metal art.
• Dan Davie: Dan’s metal art maybe seen in art and craft galleries across the country. He runs a small business but guarantees that each piece is made by him alone. Specializing in forging, he creates decorative iron work ranging from tiny hand held pieces to large architectural components. Much is his work is specially commissioned.
The metal artists listed here have been selected at random for the huge number of highly gifted craftsmen at work today. While their work is definitely worth looking at, there are hundreds, if not thousands, more whose work is both recognized and highly respected. The internet has a vast number of websites profiling artists who work in metal art along with pictures of their work which will serve to provide information on both their specialties and their deign skills and inclinations.
Published At: Isnare Free Articles Directory http://www.isnare.com
Permanent Link: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=311783&ca=Arts+and+Crafts
WATCH THIS VIDEO to learn more killer welding techniques