How To Build A Reusable Welding Jig To Weld Perfect Iron Railing Every Time

Here’s another video taken straight from the Iron Railings 101 course. In this video I show you exactly how to make your own reusable welding jig to make the perfect iron railing down rails every time.

Until I came up with this welding jig, I was spending way too much time checking everything over and over to make sure it all stayed in place before I welded it up. It would take forever to find the angles, mark everything out, and then try to clamp down all the metal and hope nothing moved in the process.

This video’s a little long, but it’s well worth it. I use this welding jig on every iron railing project I work on. I even use for other welding projects. It’s that good. If you plan on making money from building iron railing, this welding jig is a must for you.

I Want To Thank You

I want to take a minute to thank everyone who completed the quick 2 minute welding survey I sent out. It’s been hugely beneficial for The At Home Welder and it has let me know exactly what welding questions you need answered.

If you didn’t get to chance to ask the MIG welding questions you need answered, you should do that now by completing this really quick and easy 2 minute survey.

CLICK HERE to take the survey and get your MIG welding questions answered.

For those of you that took advantage of the Angle Grinder Mastery special deal earlier this year, don’t forget that you’ll get early access to the Iron Railing 101 course and at a much reduced price.

For everyone that missed out on that special deal, don’t worry. There’ll be some great bonuses coming up for everyone that takes action early.

How To Build The Down Rail Welding Jig

YouTube Preview Image

Have you built a welding jig that’s saves you time and money?

Let’s hear it.

Want To Learn MIG Welding?
If so, please join over 3,400 people who receive exclusive weekly welding and ornamental iron tips, and get FREE ACCESS to my MIG Welding 101 course! Just enter your name and email below:

Comments

1. says

is it possible to make precise enough cuts with a chops saw with carbon blade,,and not the fancy diamond blade,, for the pickets if the railing or security bars are at 90 degrees????

• HomeWelder says

Isaac – You can, but you need to take it slow. Carbon blades have a tendency the warp which will put an angle on your cuts.

2. Chip says

I need to build some railing to match some that I already got (at the junk yard). It is 1/2″ bar, but every other bar is twisted. Do you know where the twisted bar might be available? Most of the ones that I found on the net are twisted at a different pitch than what I have. Also, can you buy the punched channel already made or is that a blacksmith job? Thanks!

• HomeWelder says

Hi Chip,

The big problem with older twisted bar is that it hardly ever matches up with the new stuff. Much of the older bar was actually done by hand in smaller pieces. Now days you can buy 20′ sticks of the stuff that were twisted at the mill. I wish I had a better answer for you, but this is something that I deal with all the time.

3. Ben says

Hi Andy,
    Can you weld the down rails from the inside of the channel to make it look tidy or would that lead to problems later?

Thank you.

• HomeWelder says

Hi Ben,

That’s a good idea, but I’m not sure how you’d be able to get to the inside. Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re asking.

4. Joe Sommers says

Weld the balusters from the opposite side that you show in the video ( inside the channel) Will be much neater and much less work. You are welding in a highly visible area and with this much production work to complete on railings you want to be able to weld an area and not have to clean it up later.

5. Junior says

Nice idea with the wood table, we use metal tables with welding tabs, it gets to be a pain knocking them off, I like the screw down idea…Thanks…

6. Mike says

im building a railing that has been drawn using round spindles. i couldnt find any punch channel for round (1/2″), so i had to buy the regular channel, and will have to drill out the holes. is there a way of drilling out the holes on the down-railing section so the rod fits through? wont it have to be elongated?
    thanks, great site.